Saturday, June 06, 2009

Closer to home

On Friday we road tripped to Niagara Falls. I remember going at least once when I was a kid, and then once in college, but I don't know who went with me! Both of those times we went to the American side, and this time we stayed on the Canadian side, so it was a lot different. In any case, Niagara is about 1.5 hours from Toronto, so it makes a nice day trip (thanks for the suggestion Phil!)

We started out at about 10 am and drove to St. Catharine's, where we had found a nice breakfast place called the Bleu Turtle. It was very small and very casual but had fantastic French Toast and omelets. I had a wild boar sausage with my meal, which was a first for me. Bee ordered the French Toast, but didn't eat much, so guess who helped her?

When we arrived at the Falls, we walked to Table Rock, which is right next to the horseshoe-shaped falls on the Canadian side. We were surprised at how cold we were from all the mist drifting off the falls, so we went in to the Table Rock welcome center and bought Bee a very nice jacket. After that, the main thing we did at Niagara Falls was ride the the Maid of the Mist. The girls were excited about wearing their blue rain coats, and of course riding the boat, but I'm not sure they were ready for the falls (I know I wasn't!)





One of the unexpected themes of the day was rainbows. We saw one off the stern of the boat, and a beautiful one over the falls as we left. It was a nice way to end the day.

IMG_0582_2.JPG

Dinner was as Real Thai, the fourth place we've been to on Bloor St. It is great having all those choices nearby. We snuck in some ricotta and the girls ate it with rice noodles.

0 comments:

 
bartobreezy
  • Post or Edit
  • Log In