Friday, June 27, 2008

Bike power!!



The one thing that really surprised me but also caused me to reflect upon my own practices was how committed the Dutch were to riding bikes and other forms of alternative transportation! I knew that the Dutch rode their bikes more, and that cars were not as dominant a part of their society, but I was really astounded by how many bike riders I saw of all ages. And the things they could do on their bikes!



First, there were definitely more bike riders than people in cars. Walking down the street I think you have to be more worried about being hit by a bike than a car. In fact, they have special lights at intersections just for the bikes. You can see in this one picture, the bikes lined up at the light.





Second, I saw old people (80s and up!) riding bikes, young people (lets say ages as low as 3) riding 2 wheelers with agility. I saw women of all ages riding bikes with 3 and 4 kids in tow (2 in front and 2 in the back) whilst also carrying groceries and other odds and ends. I saw a woman, I'd say about 65 years old, who was wearing a dark suit with a skirt, high pencil thin heels, cruising down the street. I saw a priest in full dress. I couldnt whip my camera out fast enough to catch these images, but they are certainly indelibly imprinted in my mind.



Now, really, when I think I cant ride my bike to school because I have too much to carry, I will think twice, and try hopping on the bike. I will also say that I think its going to take some practice. We saw lots of adults carrying adults on the back of the bike (like Im trying to do with my colleage, Nancy, in this picture), but lets just say its really hard to keep your balance when you havent done this before!





If the Dutch aren't riding their bikes they are taking the train, the tram or the bus. The public transportation system in both amsterdam and utrecht was enviable. And, packed! People used it! Here in the US people are complaining about $4/gallon price for gas. Some folks even want to lift drilling restrictions to get more oil into the system, despite good evidence that it is harmful to the larger ecosystems we share with other species. I think, as a society, we have a lot to learn from the Dutch!!

1 comments:

musicmom24 said...

That is so great! We really could learn from them!

 
bartobreezy
  • Post or Edit
  • Log In