Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fat Tuesday Michigan Style

One of the things I missed the most about living in Michigan were the paczkis on Fat Tuesday. I don't remember ever having a Paczki as a kid (Mom, sibs, feel free to set me straight.) but it was an annual thing at the GM proving ground when I worked there in the early 90s. I especially remember the powdered, raspberry-filled kind. Yum!

Well call me a homer but I actually tried to find these things in NYC. There was always Star Deli, in Brooklyn, but that was too far for a stupid donut. So either because of excessive discipline, or laziness, or both, we went paczki-less for about 12 years.

So I was so excited about Fat Tuesday this year that I dragged the girls to Goodrich's on Monday to get some paczkis (if you ever have trouble spelling it, just remember Frankie's name is Franciszka! The Z goes before the K!) We got a half dozen, in a variety of flavors to make everyone happy, chocolate-filled glazed for the Frankster (donut!) and plain, custard for Angie. (Bee is just not a donut person, I'm afraid.)

Long story short, I ended up eating four paczkis today, two from home and two from the copious trays of them sitting around work. And we still have three sitting at home looking all forlorn. What should we do with them? Eat them all tonight? Sneak a paczki tomorrow? Feed them to Koompa and Marky? What is a good polack to do?

1 comments:

ColleenD said...

No, our Polish_German mom never let us in on this wonderful litle glob of dough. I learned about them when I worked at Ford Hospital in downtown Detroit. The best place to get them at that time was in Hamtramck. I'm sure by now you can get them just about anywhere in Michigan.
But you still can't get them in Virginia. I just might have to place an order for some next year. Do you deliver?

 
bartobreezy
  • Post or Edit
  • Log In