Sunday, February 17, 2008

books and tags

Well, I promised a few weeks ago to report on the books I have been reading. Sorry if this boring. I really just wanted to record the books Ive read to keep track. I do love to read for about 30 minutes before bed every night, to escape and relax before nodding off to sleep. I generally read about 2 or 3 books a month.

I started off the year with alexander mccall smith's 44 scotland street. I had originally gotten that for scott to read since, well, he is scottish. But I snuck it from his side of the bed and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had only been to Edinburgh once but I felt like I could at least picture some of the scenes. It was a fun read if you like to read a story about the strange ways in which lives intersect, and to feel the pain and enjoyment of the characters idiosyncrasies.
The next book I read was the Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell. My mom gave me this for christmas, as she knows I love a good mystery! I think I have read all of Cornwell's books and this one was just as good as the rest. A nice mix of humor, suspense, and strong female lead! Then I read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, a christmas gift from MIL. Excellent. But I have to say that along with that christmas gift was a box of bon bons to eat while reading.... besides the fact that they were eaten long before I started on the book, I think a box of tissues would have been more appropriate. Lets just say I had to sleep in tear covered pillows a few nights. Im now just finishing The Overlook by Michael Connelly. I bought this one at the airport the other day. Now, I am onto Garden of water by Alan Drew. Scott checked it from the library for me yesterday. I will report on that one next week.

In the mean time since i have been tagged by SIL colleen, I think I have to go to page 123 of the book that is closest to me at this exact moment and give you the 5th sentence (and then the 6th and 7th). So, lets just say Im sitting in the parlor and on the side table are about 30 kids books, and none have 123 pages... so we also happen to have the recent issue of the New Yorker sitting here on the table, and so here goes page 123. Its in the middle of a piece I loved called "Letter from Poland: True Crime. A postmodern murder mystery."

"Whoever was behind the abduction, Wroblewski thought, had been extremely organized and schrewd. The mastermind --Wroblewski assumed it was a man, based on the caller's voice -- must have studied Janiszewski's business routine and known how to lure him out of his office and, possibily, into a car. Wroblewski pored over the materials, trying to find something more yet he remained stymied." I hope that left you in suspense!! I guess Im supposed to tag someone now, so Purvi, its all you sweetie!

1 comments:

Purvs said...

Angie!! How do you have the time to read all this stuff???!!

ANyway, since you tagged me, the book closest to me is Alan Greenspan's "The Age of Turbulence" (Niraj's).

Pg 123, line 5...hmmm... here goes:

"Of course, I had no notion that in a month the Berlin Wall would be torn down, or that in a little more than two years the Soviet Union would be no more. Nor did I know that I would, iin the years following the Eastern bloc's collapse, become witness to a very rare event: the emergence of competetive market economies from the ashes of centrally planned ones."

Fascinating stuff :P

 
bartobreezy
  • Post or Edit
  • Log In