Thursday, February 21, 2008

First Post from India....

I'm posting this a day after I wrote it. Internet access is super spotty!....

I made it to Chennai at 5 am on Wednesday, safe and sound. Unfortunately my suitcase did not. So here it is Thursday morning, and I've spend the last 48 hours in the same clothes. Luckily I had everything I really need in my backpack, and folks here dress casually, so it has not been big deal yet that I'm wandering around in a black t-shirt. I had a good day yesterday anyway, talking fuel cells and such with my hosts. They must have enjoyed it because they've already invited me back next January.

I'm visiting the Central Electrochemical Research Institute in Chennai, where they are growing a domestic fuel cell industry. So is the US of course, and it isn't easy, but folks here seem to have a good idea of what they need to do, and they're quite creative, so who knows?

Chennai is a little crazy, but very colorful. There are a million scooters and little autorickshaws which are used as taxis. Honking the horn is a popular passtime.

This morning I'm going to the airport to get an answer on my bags, and then I'll probably get some clothes. This afternoon I go to Chemical Engineering department at IIT Madras, and tomorrow through Sunday I'm off for travel and sightseeing. I hope to have some pictures very soon.

0 comments:

 
bartobreezy
  • Post or Edit
  • Log In