Thursday, January 18, 2007

WWKD?

I dont know why but this morning I woke up thinking about two things: Koompa's upcoming centurian party and foie gras. Now Koompa turns 100 this summer (doggie years), and truth be told, we have always though that Koompa has taught us alot about life. If you were sitting in a huge cement covered parking lot, and there was 1 square inch of grass, Koompa would find it and roll in it. She knows how to make her own happiness. Honestly, scott and I often say, when we get stuck in a touch situation, WWKD? What would koompa do? Like right now, case in point: Koompa is lying down on the sleeping bag in sideroom near me, sleeping. Last night I made some pudding for dessert (yummy coconut pudding by the way), I had the empty pan in my hand (after pouring the contents into serving dishes), I looked at the pan and wondered, should wash it right away? Lick it out? Well, I put it on the floor in front of koompa, and she licked it out. In fact, she licked it so well, it looked like I didnt even need to wash it. But back to her party. Its only 6 months away and I havent even gotten the invite list yet. WWKD?

Now onto foie gras. I admit I have been stewing over the amount of corn in my diet as it comes in all shapes and sizes. (several chapters of the omnivores dilemma is devoted to just this topic). I was trying to figure out how much corn I had yesterday. At first glance, none. I didnt actually eat any corn kernals. But then I realized, there is corn starch in the pudding. For breakfast I had an english muffin with peanut butter. Safe? No. I just looked at the ingrediants of the english muffins (Thomas' by the way) and there it is: high fructose corn syrup. For lunch I had hummus and a kiwi, and that was pretty good. snack, an apple, some dark chocolate, and a bit of frankie's granola bar. Yep, you guessed it again. Corn syrup in the granola bar. We had huevo rancheros for supper last night. We had flour tortillas not corn, so we're good there... but I ask, were the chickens who made the eggs fed corn mash? probably. And that brings me to why I probably dreamed about foie gras. To get the liver of the duck or goose fatty enough, force feeding of the animal takes place from 12−18 days before slaughter. The duck or goose is typically fed a controlled amount of corn mash through a tube placed in the animal's esophagus. (thanks wikipedia).

1 comments:

ColleenD said...

Don't worry Angie, you don't look like a duck or quack like a duck. I think your safe from being fed like a duck.

 
bartobreezy
  • Post or Edit
  • Log In